Subject: Re: 1.3 reports no clock on 5000/125
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/19/1998 09:17:34
On Wed, 18 Mar 1998 12:26:22 -0800 (PST)  Jonathan Stone wrote:

> Michael Hitch writes:
>
> >  The clock attach routine should be checking for "asic", but it looks
> >like the 1.3.1 patch includes an update that changed that to "ioasic",
> >which is not correct for 1.3/1.3.1.
>
> Sounds correct to me.  1.3.1 is broken.  Gah.
> ``It compiled when i tried it, honest it did''.
>
> Unfortunately I was probably using a /usr/sbin/config from
> -current when I tested this: 1.3.1 hadn't been built then.

I proposed a while ago (on tech-kern I think) to have config (source
and binary) live in /usr/src/sys somewhere - that way we wouldn't be
bitten by this sort of thing.  That idea got shot down in flames at the
time ("changes dont happen often, so it doesn't matter").  Maybe worth
revisiting now?

Simon.