Subject: Re: Maybe a stupid question about SCSI.
To: mjbedy <mjbedy@Oakland.edu>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/11/1998 12:04:24
>  Is the connector on the back of the DS5000\125 a 'standard' connector of
>some sort?

Yes, it's the standard SCSI-2 connector. (iirc, the DECstations
formally predate scsi-2, but the connector and the protocol is pretty
much standard scsi-2.)  The same 50-pin connector was used on
most workstations throughout the late 80s-mid 90s-- sparcs
and NeXTs use them.

Fry's or NCA or a similar outlet should have the cables.
It depends whats on the external drive.  You want a cable with
scsi-2 on one end and whatever matches your drive on the other.

> I have a 300 meg external SCSI drive that I would like to hook
>up, but I don't have much experience with SCSI (read: none.)
>
>  The only SCSI connectors I've ever seen are the kind on the Macintosh,
>and this is the kind that is on the drive I have (a Digital RZ55-FA,
>according to the box. It weighs a lot.)

Er, you mean the old MacPlus-style db-25 connectors, or
Centronics style, or something else?