Subject: Re: Unsupported Framebuffers...
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.oscs.montana.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/05/1998 19:04:23
On Mar  6, 12:06pm, Chris Collins wrote:
> If I have an unsupported framebuffer on an DECStation 5000/240 - Will I
> get a console - or will I need to use a serial console or something
> along those lines - IE:  Does/will character mode work?

  According to the source code, it should print out a message saying
the console device is not supported and that it is switching to a
serial console.

  I think I tried out a patch once that would leave the console device
using the PROM console code.  It appeared to work, at least long enough
to get up to the shell prompt.  I don't know how safe this would be
though - if the PROM is using any of the memory past the start of the
kernel (0x80030000).

Michael

--
Michael L. Hitch			mhitch@montana.edu