Subject: Re: *wm* crashes a lot
To: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofy.goof.com>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/05/1998 15:01:56
>> > Anyone else having problems with 1.3 and window managers?
>>
>>   Yes, I have.

>FWIW, I've got PR port-pmax/5064 open on this very issue, if anybody finds
>anything...

OK. TWM is linked dynamically against libgnumalloc and libc.
I have a PR  open against linkingdynamic libs which define the
same symbol multiple times in different libraries.

One of the places this bites is /usr/X11R6/bin/resize, which loses in
exactly the same way when linked against libgnumalloc,

I bet a chocolate fish[*] that twm will work as well as it ever does
if either linked statically, or linked without gnu malloc.
Could someone try that out, please? I just dont have time this week.

My guess is that anything else in /usr/X11R6/bin is going to lose the
same way, until we fix this problem with shared libs.  Till then, I
guess that means turning off gnu malloc in our xsrc and rebuilding (or
at least and relinking) xsrc for the 1.3.1 binary distribution.
(AFAIK, the xsrc tree is outside our release-freeze system).

Here's a way someone could help out a lot: write a script to do a ldd
on all the installed files.  Grep the result for the filename and for
/usr/lib/gnumalloc.so. Print a list of all the binaries linked against
gnumalloc.  For each such binary, run it, see if it works, and report
the results. I dont have time to do that this week, or porbably next
week. If someone would volunteer that would be great.

This will _not_ make it into the 1.3.1 release; but if there are
enough non-X binaries and you-all collectively decide it's worth it,
I'll produce a private patch to 1.3.1 to disable gnumalloc, and build
a binary snapshot from 1.3.1 source plus that patch.

How does that sound?