Subject: Re: Bad disks?
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/04/1998 11:22:19
On Tue, 3 Mar 1998 14:55:51 -0800 (PST)  Jonathan Stone wrote:

> >> BTW can I use any new SCSI disk or are there any limitations?
> >
> >Up until last weekend, I would have said yes.  However, DEC have retired
> >the RZ25L, and work just bought half a dozen RZ25M's.  Not one of these
> >works in three different 5000/150's that we tried.  (By "not working",
> >a `cnfg 3' wedged during the SCSI probe and an Ultrix diskless client
> >swapping on disk got to the "swap on local disk" bit then hung.)
>
> This is clearly not NetBSD's fault.  If the drive wedges the PROM, it
> will wedge the PROM for Ultrix, too.
>
> Could it be a spinup botch in the drive firmware?  Maybe if you change
> the drive jumper and/or modepage to spinup on power-on it will work.

I did _not_ want to imply it was NetBSD's fault!  We tried all the drive
jumper positions we could, and still couldn't get the drive to spin up.
I was 2000km away from my office, and didn't have the chance to do any
more work on the problem.  Since it was a work thing and we asked for
RZ25L's and got RZ25M's - we sent them back.

Simon.