Subject: RE: Shared Libraries under NetBSD/pmax
To: 'Michael L. Hitch' <mhitch@lightning.oscs.montana.edu>
From: Rob Mohr <rmohr@triax.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/03/1998 19:42:25
On Tuesday, March 03, 1998 7:33 PM, Michael L. Hitch
[SMTP:mhitch@lightning.oscs.montana.edu] wrote:
> On Mar  3,  7:23pm, Rob Mohr wrote:
> > (P.S.  On my DECstation 3100 I still have to kill the first Xserver
process
> > that is started when I execute xinit.  The initial process hangs with
an
> > reverse video screen.  After killing that process and re-running xinit
> > everything works fine.  Anyone know if this will be fixed in 1.3.1?)
>
>   Try adding a "sleep 5" between the xfs startup and the xdm startup.
> I suspect a problem when the X server tries to open the connection to
> the font server before the font server is ready.
>
> --
> Michael L. Hitch			mhitch@montana.edu
> Computer Consultant
> Information Technology Center
> Montana State University	Bozeman, MT	USA

This is what I thought at first also.  The problem with this analysis is
that I am starting xfs during bootup via the rc.conf file with the
following entry:

xfs=YES	xfs_flags=""	#X11 font server

and I am running xinit from the command line with:

xinit -- -fp tcp/localhost:7100

There should be plenty of time for the font server to be ready to process
requests.  There has to be something else going on here besides a timing
problem.

Rob Mohr