Subject: RE: Shared Libraries under NetBSD/pmax
To: 'Toru Nishimura' <nisimura@is.aist-nara.ac.jp>
From: Rob Mohr <rmohr@triax.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/03/1998 19:23:17
On Monday, March 02, 1998 8:59 PM, Toru Nishimura
[SMTP:nisimura@is.aist-nara.ac.jp] wrote:
>     [ ... how to add new library path to runtime ld in NetBSD/pmax ... ]
>
> > It doesn't appear that the -m option is valid for ldconfig under NetBSD
> > 1.3/pmax.  The usage listing is:
> >
> > usage:  ldconfig [-DvnNX] dir ...
> >        ldconfig -l [-Dv] lib ...
> >        ldconfig -p
> >
> > At least one person has said that they didn't think shared libraries
were
> > working under NetBSD 1.3/pmax.  This seems to be contrary to what I
have
> > found in the archives about shared library support.  Anyone out there
have
> > the definitive answer on this?
>
> NetBSD/pmax shared libraries run well.
>
> Have an environment variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH and try again;
>
>          LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/lib
>
> There are known inconsistencies between ldconfig, ldd and ld.so
> runtime behaviors.  I think it must be improved for user's sake.
>
> Tohru Nishimura
> Nara Insta

This worked like a charm.  Thanks for the reply Toru.

(P.S.  On my DECstation 3100 I still have to kill the first Xserver process
that is started when I execute xinit.  The initial process hangs with an
reverse video screen.  After killing that process and re-running xinit
everything works fine.  Anyone know if this will be fixed in 1.3.1?)

Rob Mohr