Subject: Re: Bad disks?
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Jeffrey D. McMahill <jma7+@andrew.cmu.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/03/1998 19:11:35
> I think we've been careful to make sure NetBSD will properly handle
> and boot from (and get the geometry right on) a wide range of drives,
> including some old pre-SCSI-2 CCS monsters.

Except mine...  :-(

I posted a couple months ago about a problem with my rz1 drive
not being recognized with 1.3 but working fine with 1.2G.
Well, I was just recently playing around with the hardware and
discovered something interesting.

This works just fine: (this is on a 3100, btw)

NetBSD 1.3 (GENERIC) #2: Tue Dec 30 01:16:36 PST 1997
    jonathan@Reno.DSG.Stanford.EDU:/reno/compile/GENERIC
Beginning old-style SCSI device autoconfiguration
rz1 at sii0 drive 1 slave 0 HITACHI DK312C rev CM74
rz1: 239MB, 1081 cyl, 12 head, 37 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 490656 sectors
rz4 at sii0 drive 4 slave 0 QUANTUM LP80S  980809404 rev 3.3
rz4: 80MB, 921 cyl, 4 head, 44 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 164139 sectors

But if I change rz4 to rz0, then rz1 is no longer recognized!
(but still shows up under 1.2G)

So it seems as if the Hitachi drive is not the problem, but rather
some strange interaction with the Quantum drive (and some change that
went in after 1.2G).  The same thing happens with a 40 Meg Quantum drive.
I tried replacing 1.3's rz.c (as well as a few other things) with the
files from 1.2G before, but never managed to figure out what was going on.

Any ideas?  (other than don't put quantum drives first...  :-)
(or even better, is anyone working on getting the MI scsi code to work?)

I guess this isn't particularly important since I got it to work, but
it would be nice to know whats going on...

Thanks,

   -Jeff