Subject: NetBSD equivalents of Ultrix 4.4 commands and miscellaneous Questions
To: port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Rob Mohr <rmohr@triax.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 02/27/1998 23:54:47
I have a couple of questions:

What (if any) are the NetBSD equivalents of the adduser, removeuser,
addgroup, and uucpsetup commands available in Ultrix 4.4?

Why does setting ttyD2 and ttyD3 as follows:

	ttyD2  "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600" dialup on shared secure "1st comm
port"
	ttyD3  "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600" dialup on shared secure "2nd comm
port"

in /etc/ttys behave differently than under Ultrix?  When I set the serial
port up this way (This is how I have my serial ports on ttyD0 set up under
Ultrix in order to use a modem) the following processes are created when I
execute a ps -HUP 1.

214	D2	S<s+	0:00.62 login -p -- /p/p
215	D3	Ss+	0.00.23 /usr/libexec/getty std.9600 ttyD3

Under Ultrix I would only expect the second process to be started.  It
appears that everything printed to the console is also being sent to the
serial port.  When data is returned to the console (or I enter via the
keyboard) the send/receive lights on my modem flash.  Normally I would only
expect the TR light to light up after initializing the port.  I wasn't sure
which device mnemonic corresponds to the Ultrix /dev/ttyD0 device (serial
port with modem control) I use to set up the modem.  That is why I set both
serial ports up the same way.  Is this causing a conflict?

Is there a program available that will periodically go out and access the
file system?  I have an older Seagate drive that is spinning down after a
period of disuse.  When I attempt to access the file system after it has
spun down, the drive is not spinning back up.  The only way I have found to
get the drive to spin back up is to power cycle it.  Not, a very good idea
without halting the system and powering down first.  Is there a simple cron
entry I can make that goes out and writes and deletes a file every 15 or 30
minutes?  I have no experience with UNIX crontabs, so any help would be
appreciated.  Basically I just want to prevent the drive from going to
sleep.  (NOTE: If it sounds like this is abnormal behavior for a ST-41200
drive I would appreciate that feedback also.  I may be able to set a jumper
setting differently perhaps.)

Is there any work on a NetBSD/pmax port of Sun's Java JDK?  I would be very
intrested in getting involved in anything that might be going on in that
arena.  If nothing is going on currently, would anyone be intrested in my
contacting Sun about licensing the source for such a project?  I am not
sure that Sun would do that free of charge, but its worth a shot.