Subject: X on a DECstation 3100
To: port-pmax@netbsd.org <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Rob Mohr <rmohr@triax.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 02/27/1998 21:34:23
I have linked the X to the Xcfbpmax xserver executable using the command
given in README.pmax.  I was finally able to get xinit to run.  The error
about the font path resolved itself when I realized that I needed to do:

xinit -- -fp tcp/localhost:7100

and NOT

xinit -fp tcp/localhost:7100

Newbie mistake.

This did not work from the console the first time.  I logged in via a
telnet session (from my PC) and killed the Xserver.  I then ran xinit
again.  X comes up with an xterm (no window border) and a mouse crosshair
in the middle of the screen.  No response to input from mouse.  I'm afraid
I'm stuck again...

I will provide more info on hardware if someone can tell me where to look
to find out what version of the baseboard video I have.  I know that it is
a color board (I've been using the machine under Ultrix 4.4 for a while).
 I have a color monitor on it, VR-299-DA.

Rob Mohr