Subject: NetBSD/pmax unexec
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Terry R. Friedrichsen <terry@venus.sunquest.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 02/10/1998 07:27:24
OK, I've decided to reveal my ignorance and foolhardiness to the world
by working on this.

Ted Lemon has been kind enough to tell me what books I don't have that I'll
really need to do this on my own (MIPS assembler manual and the ELF spec
from the AT&T SVr4.2 doc set).  Trouble is, I'm unlikely to obtain these
books, so I'm sorta stuck without some help from the experts.

I've been through unexelf.c (from the Emacs distribution) with a fine-toothed
comb; I understand what it does (with a couple of minor questions), and I
understand why it doesn't work, at least for NetBSD/pmax.

I wrote my own program to dump the ELF file, program, and section headers,
so I would be certain I understood how things actually fit together.

Now what I need is some kind soul to volunteer to answer some questions
so I can start fixing unexelf to work correctly.  Said person could begin
by answering some questions about the .sbss section is, since its existence
is the root cause of exexelf's current failure.

Oh, and if somebody would like to sell me a MIPS assembler manual, or knows
of an on-line ELF specification, I'd also appreciate hearing from you.

AdTHANKSvance to anyone willing to help!

Terry R. Friedrichsen

terry@venus.sunquest.com