Subject: Re: kernel compile
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Benson L Chow <bc3c+@andrew.cmu.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 02/04/1998 13:11:19
Excerpts from internet.computing.netbsd.port-pmax: 2-Feb-98 Re: kernel
compile  by Simon Burge@telstra.com.
> I think the /240 took almost an hour - I'd shudder to think how long a
> 2100 or 3100 would take...

A long time ago ('bout a year), I actually tried compiling 1.2D a few
times, trying to apply the patches Jonathan suggested to try fixing the
3100 SCSI bug (it failed every time at the end when it was linking due
to the bug, I don't think I ever was able to get a working kernel!).  I
don't remember too well, but it took on the order of 2-3 hours to
compile on my 3100 to compile GENERIC from scratch... not a pleasant
experience, after getting used to the 6 to 1 to 0.5 to 0.3 to 0.1 hour
compile time shortening I'm used to on my x86's... =)

-bc

p.s. yeah, 6 hours... that was when I had a machine slower than a 3100 =)
plus disk performance on that machine reeked - that didn't help at all...