Subject: Re: vi & vt220
To: emanuel stiebler <emu@ecubics.com>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@Update.UU.SE>
List: port-pmax
Date: 02/03/1998 19:09:12
> Hi all,
> I still have problems using a vt220 & vi for editing. Anybody have same
> problems ?
>
> what i got:
>
> with 2400, 9600, 19200 baud pressing the ESC-key i always get two or three
> characters changed to lowercase if they are upper case and vice versa. ( it
> is not so easy then leaving the editor & save your changes:(()
>
> i tried different terminals, both ports. (decstation 500/133) on ultrix,
> the terminals are working fine.
> working with the vt220 as vt52 or vt100, is ok.

Sorry, I just have to smile here... :-)

Okay, your problem is a well known "feature". The answer is: The VT220
don't have an ESC key.

When you are using the terminal in VT52 or VT100 mode, it uses F11 as ESC,
because the VT52 and VT100 has one, and it's supposed to emulate those.
However, in VT220 mode the F11 key sends a complete escape sequence
identifying it as F11.

The one solution I can give you is that you will get an ESC by pressing
CTRL-3.

	Johnny