Subject: Re: vi & vt220
To: emanuel stiebler <emu@ecubics.com>
From: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 02/03/1998 07:38:35
On Tue, 3 Feb 1998, emanuel stiebler wrote:

> Hi all,
> I still have problems using a vt220 & vi for editing. Anybody have same
> problems ?
>
> what i got:
>
> with 2400, 9600, 19200 baud pressing the ESC-key i always get two or three
> characters changed to lowercase if they are upper case and vice versa. ( it
> is not so easy then leaving the editor & save your changes:(()

	That is normal - on a vt220 the 'escape' key is just another
	function key, and sends around 4 characters. I cant remember
	offhand if the vt220 supports switching escape to only sending
	a single escape or not - I know vt320 and later do...

> i tried different terminals, both ports. (decstation 500/133) on ultrix,
> the terminals are working fine.
> working with the vt220 as vt52 or vt100, is ok.

	You may have to use it in 'vt100' mode...
	Or get use to pressing Ctrl+[ for escape.. which is not very
	pleasant...

> whats wrong here ?
> (termcap, serial i/o, ...?)

	Terminal design :)

		David/absolute

Definition of the day:
'Momentarily': _For_ an moment... not _in_ a moment...
(It would be preferable if more of the world could grasp the above)