Subject: Re: 1.3 and PMAG-A
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Matthew Schnierle <pyld@grove.iup.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 02/02/1998 13:46:15
On Sun, 1 Feb 1998, Jonathan Stone wrote:

> >Is there any support for a PMAG-A in 1.3?
>
> Yes, there is.
>
> >Boot output reports it as a mfb.  Using the mfb server just does not work.
> >Using the cfb server results in a quasi-usable display, but the head on this
> >particular machine (5000/120) is one of those greyscale dec monsters
> >(VR319-DA).  The web page makes no mention of it, and I'm not entirely sure
> >just what the heck a PMAG-A is....
>
> It's a 1280x1024 x 1-bit-deep mono display with an 8-bit stride
> between pixels.  Use the Xcfbpmax server, as recommended by
> /usr/X11R6/bin/README.pmax.  (The Xmfbpmax server is only used on the
> one-bit-deep, one-bit-stride 2100 and 3100 framebuffers).
>
> (Should this go in an FAQ also? It is in the README.pmax file....)
>
> Historically, even X11R6 on Ultrix gets horribly confused by the 8-bit
> stride on these displays and mangles bitmap data and SHAPE (oval or
> round buttons) horribly: the round edges are stretched to 8x the size
> they should be and you get black-on-black or white-on-white
> rendering:)
>
> Is that what you're seeing?

Sounds like it.  Huge edges and incorrect black on black and white on white
renderings.

I'm going to check the PR entropy mentioned, and see what help it might
offer later today....

-Matthew Schnierle
-pyld@grove.iup.edu
-http://www.iup.edu/~pyld/
-Member, Programmers Local 1036--AFL-CPIO.
-Join the fight.  http://www.cauce.org