Subject: Re: kernel compile
To: emanuel stiebler <emu@ecubics.com>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 02/01/1998 16:24:27
"emanuel stiebler" <emu@ecubics.com> writes:
----------
> From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
> To: emanuel stiebler <emu@ecubics.com>
> Cc: port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG
> Subject: Re: kernel compile
> Date: Sunday, February 01, 1998 4:54 PM
>

>> I think all we have is /usr/share/mk/README.bsd, but that's not very
>> helpful for building new kernels.

>It is exactly like you said.
----------

Yes, because README.bsd is intended for peopel maintaining the
Makefile machinery used internally by the BSD make process used in
`make build'.

The documentation in config(8), intro(4) and the various pmax device
manpages is a good place to start.

Oh, and there's one but in Ted's suggestion.  I prefer to make a
subdir first and test running config there; whereas Ted's suggestion
pollutes /sys/arch/pmax/conf with lots of twisty .h files created by
config.

As Ted says, building a kernel from scratch takes about an hour.