Subject: Re: disklabel trouble on a pmax(pmin?)
To: Simon Burge" , "James O'Kane <jo2y+@cs.cmu.edu>
From: emanuel stiebler <emu@ecubics.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 02/01/1998 10:13:02
Hi James,

----------
> From: James O'Kane <jo2y+@cs.cmu.edu>
> To: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
> Cc: port-pmax@netbsd.org
> Subject: Re: disklabel trouble on a pmax(pmin?)
> Date: Sunday, February 01, 1998 6:55 AM
>
> I am installing 1.3, but sysinst doesn't seem to do the right thing since
> I've already tried a disklabel. One time it said that I had a 50M disk
and
> then it said I had a 100M disk. I was able to fake things with one of the
> other disk setups in disktab to make it think that I had a 400M drive,
and
> I installed that was, but I tried to install too much, and I'd like
things
> to be correct.

Please check, if you really use the newest version of sysinst. I had always
troubles with the older versions. (they have problems with scsi) I use many
of this quantum 3.2 GByte disks, and it works now very well. I downloaded
sysinst from the ftp and used exactly this explicitly in the root
directory.There is an older version in one of the bin/sbin directories.

To your problems with disklabel, Simons "guess" is absolutely right (i
think it was no guess). i had always troubles using the spec information on
this. ( For a short moment i talk about Ultrix) On Ultrix i used always the
parameters from "rzdisk -g default /dev/rrzXc" and used the formulas from
the Ultrix manuals. Use always the sectorcount computed, and not the one of
the specs.

NS * NT * NC = your blockcount = c partition

None of this partitions may exceed this count.

cheers,
emanuel