Subject: Re: Serial console FAQ?
To: Chris Jones <cjones@honors.montana.edu>
From: Alexandre LaMotte <lamotte@minotauro.digital.com.br>
List: port-pmax
Date: 01/29/1998 16:57:19
Chris Jones wrote:

> I know this issue has been addressed multiple times before, but I don't
> seem to be able to find quite the right discussion of it in the archives.
> Is there a FAQ on setting up a serial console?
>
> If not, here's my question:  I've got a 5000/240, and I want it to do that
> serial console thing, since it says it doesn't support the built-in
> console.  I've got it hooked up via serial to kermit on the NetBSD/i386
> machine next to it, 9600, 7N1.  But I don't ever see anything on kermit.
> I've removed the PMAG-E card and unplugged the keyboard/mouse assembly.
> Still no dice.  Do I plug into the serial port labeled "3" or the one
> labeled "2"?
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> Chris

> Chris Jones                                      cjones@rupert.oscs.montana.edu
>            Mad scientist in training...
> "Is this going to be a stand-up programming session, sir, or another bug hunt?"

     Hi Chris,

       I don't know if It'll help but here is the instructions to
change the console system from graphic monitor to serial console :

    You have to set the following params :

    Baud Rate 9600
    bits 8
    Parity None
    Stop Bits 1
    Handshake  Xon/xoff
    Mode Full Duplex

  And do the steps :

   Connect the alternate terminal to the serial port.
   If no prompt ( >> ) appers within 2 minutes, proceed wthiouth it.
   On the regular system keyboard, type :

    setenv console s

   and press return to enable alternate terminal.

        You can also check your cable. May be you have some pins with
wrong connection.

    The pins in cpu connector side are:

    1 gnd
    2 tx