Subject: Re: Serial console FAQ?
To: Chris Jones <cjones@honors.montana.edu>
From: Michael K. Sanders <msanders@aros.net>
List: port-pmax
Date: 01/29/1998 11:44:56
Chris Jones writes:
>Is there a FAQ on setting up a serial console?

Not that I know of, but that doesn't mean much. :)

>If not, here's my question:  I've got a 5000/240, and I want it to do that
>serial console thing, since it says it doesn't support the built-in
>console.  I've got it hooked up via serial to kermit on the NetBSD/i386
>machine next to it, 9600, 7N1.  But I don't ever see anything on kermit.
>I've removed the PMAG-E card and unplugged the keyboard/mouse assembly.
>Still no dice.  Do I plug into the serial port labeled "3" or the one
>labeled "2"?

I've got a DECSystem (no frame buffer) 5000/240 that I use a serial
console on.  I can't check right now which serial port is used, but I
just tried them both and found the one that worked.  IIRC, I used 9600
_8_N1.  I was using cu instead of Kermit, and it didn't work properly
until I rememberd to set the "local" flag in /etc/ttys for the serial
interface of the host.

>Any help appreciated.

Hope that helps..

:: Mike ::