Subject: Re: unhappy decstation 5000/240
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofy.goof.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 01/24/1998 21:21:57
On Sat, 24 Jan 1998, CyberPeasant wrote:

> Bad memory?

Must be... I got 1.2g booted on it with just the 32MB card in it.
Methinks one of the 8MB cards is dead.  (It's got 32+8+8.)  I also
reseated the processor module, and that seems to have helped.

> Swap SIMMs around? -- Scary note: DEC certifies their simms and simm
> sockets for about 6 insert/remove cycles.]

Does anybody know how careful I should be about this?

> BUT ... never throw away a Decstation unless it has been run over by
> a steam roller... Somebody covets/needs those parts. Like me...

In that case I was recently given a 5000/200 which looks like it was
stripped for parts...  the power supply is missing a fan, and everything
that was screwed in (including the posts for the RAM lockdown and all the
ports on the back) are gone.  The case has a hole cut in the front of it
for god-knows-what purpose.  If anybody in Portland, OR wants it, they can
have it.

----
  Aaron J. Grier  | "Not your ordinary poofy goof." | agrier@poofy.goof.com
  agrier@reed.edu |  agrier@metro.grumblesmurf.net  | ...!reed!vla!agrier
  DECBEE65 0DEE3A0C 1ED7F54D 9E023CC4 and 0x0663D1A9 at a server near you.