Subject: Re: Bootable CD-rom survey [was Re: Problems booting new 1.3 kernel]
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Rob Funk <rfunk@peri.acs.ohio-state.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 01/23/1998 11:34:16
Jonathan Stone wrote:
>Now, if many people (or even just most of the people asking for CDs)
>actually have CD drives that are bootable (i.e., can be set to
>512-byte blocks), that's an entirely different kettle of fish....
>
>So, who does, and who doesn't, have a bootable  CD-rom drive?

Around here we have lots of different kinds of systems (Sun, SGI,
DEC), and one of the most useful pieces of hardware we have is an
external Sun CDROM drive that we often use to boot Sun install CDs.
It does 512-byte blocks, and I think we may have even used it to boot
an Ultrix CD on one of our 5000/260s.  We also have other similar
drives from other companies.

Since we also have a CD-writer (which can write 512-byte blocks), I'd
love to see a boot-install image we could write to a CD so we could
easily install NetBSD on three of our 5000/260s.

--
Rob Funk  <rfunk@peri.acs.ohio-state.edu>
The Ohio State University