Subject: Re: newbie netinstall success with 2100
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@is.aist-nara.ac.jp>
List: port-pmax
Date: 01/23/1998 13:14:27
>> One notice; NetBSD/pmax 1.3 does NOT use rpc.bootparamd.  It goes
>> straight BOOTP(DHCP) and TFTP way to netboot.  This means the server
>> side configuration is done simply by '/etc/bootptab' mod.  No
>> /etc/ethers, no /etc/bootparams anymore. Quite happiness...
>
> true, it doesn't use bootparamd when booting the kernel, but the
> nfsnetbsd.ecoff kernel requires it to know where to mount its / from...
> :)

If your bootpd serves rp= entry correctly, there is no need to use
bootparams at all.  I'm using diskless MAXINE served by NetBSD/sun3 1.3
in next window.  /sbin/dmesg reports like;

 asc0 at asic0 offset 0x300000 priority 3: target 7
 xcfb0 at tc0 slot 2 offset 0x0 (1024x768x8) (console)
 Beginning old-style SCSI device autoconfiguration
 boot device: <unknown>
 nfs_boot: trying BOOTP/DHCP
 nfs_boot: my_addr=0xa3dda23d
 nfs_boot: my_mask=0xffffff00
 root on sun3:/u0/pmax

Tohru Nishimura
Nara Institute of Science and Technology