Subject: Re: Bootable CD-rom survey [was Re: Problems booting new 1.3 kernel]
To: Ted Lemon <mellon@hoffman.vix.com>
From: David Burren <davidb@telstra.com.au>
List: port-pmax
Date: 01/22/1998 08:53:29
>> Yes .. there should be a caddie.
>> This the most anchient type of cdrom I can rememebr.
>> It has a brown plastic tray which you load and unload cdroms from
>> the drive.
>> It leaves a plastic insert in the drive.

> Oh yeah, you're *right*!   I was thinking of the RRD42!   Wow, I have
> no idea how to get one of those old caddies unless you can find
> somebody who has one stashed.

The RRD40 has a Philips mechanism.  Older HP CD drives used the same
mechanism, so if you can't find a DEC site with a spare caddy, you may
have joy with an HP site.

Regarding jumpering some drives to make them work with 512-byte blocks:
did you know that if you change the "mode" jumper on the back of an
RRD42 (inside the case if you've got an external drive) it switches to
2048-byte blocks and reports itself as a CDU-541?
__
David Burren
davidb@telstra.com.au
davidb@werj.com.au (it works again!)