Subject: Re: Bootable CD-rom survey [was Re: Problems booting new 1.3 kernel]
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Erik Bertelsen <erik@sockdev.uni-c.dk>
List: port-pmax
Date: 01/21/1998 13:47:45
On Tue, 20 Jan 1998, Jonathan Stone wrote:

.. Now, if many people (or even just most of the people asking for CDs)
.. actually have CD drives that are bootable (i.e., can be set to
.. 512-byte blocks), that's an entirely different kettle of fish....
..
.. So, who does, and who doesn't, have a bootable  CD-rom drive?

I'm playing with NetBSD on a DS3100 and probably soon on a DS5000/133.
I have an RRD42 which has been used as a boot and installation medium
for the original Ultrix installation on the 5000.

If I can get hold of a bootable NetBSD CD, I'd be happy for it, because
it'll make it possible for me to bootstrap NetBSD onto the machine without
needing a helper machine (or an already bootable disk).

As it has been mentioned, other people may have access to loan RRD drives
(or switch other drive types to be usable), I definitly feel that e.g.
a bootable CD with a complete NetBSD/pmax 1.3 distribution is worthwhile.

I'll probably be willing to pay a few bucks to get one. If someone
provides a disk image ready to feed into a CD writer, I'll probably
be even more happy :-)

regards
Erik Bertelsen