Subject: Re: Problems booting new 1.3 kernel
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Gregory McGarry <g.mcgarry@qut.edu.au>
List: port-pmax
Date: 01/21/1998 18:02:59
Jonathan Stone wrote:

> >Well, I might have got it wrong but won't this allow me to install NetBSD
> >onto my 5000/240 using only a CD drive which I'll borrow from work and a
> >1Gb disk I have lying around without needing a helper machine or a network
> >connection?
>
> Yes, but if and only if the CD drive you borrow from work can be
> jumpered to use 512 byte blocks.
>
> Aye, there's the rub.
>
> 512-byte blocks is nonstandard, and used to be rare.
> (Reading between the lines of an earlier post, maybe Suns have the
> same requirement, in which case it might not be so rare anymore.)

Indeed, suns have the same situation.  However, it is well documented
on the web how to modify many drives such that they do work as 512 byte
blocks.

The URL doesn't come directly to mind, but it is here if anybody wants me
to look a little harder.

At any rate, I agree with Jonathan.  It doesn't really appear to be
worth the trouble.

Regards,
Greg