Subject: Re: Problems booting new 1.3 kernel
To: Huw Davies <H.Davies@latrobe.edu.au>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 01/20/1998 23:13:57
Huw Davies writes:

>At 04:08 PM 1/20/98 -0800, Jonathan Stone wrote:

>>I still don't understand what's "not working" about the current thing
>>but which would be fixed by having the identical same stuff on a
>>CD-rom, but that would be installed the same way as the current thing.
>>
>>If someone can help explain that, it might make things easier for *everyone*.

>Well, I might have got it wrong but won't this allow me to install NetBSD
>onto my 5000/240 using only a CD drive which I'll borrow from work and a
>1Gb disk I have lying around without needing a helper machine or a network
>connection?

Yes, but if and only if the CD drive you borrow from work can be
jumpered to use 512 byte blocks.

Aye, there's the rub.

512-byte blocks is nonstandard, and used to be rare.
(Reading between the lines of an earlier post, maybe Suns have the
same requirement, in which case it might not be so rare anymore.)