Subject: Re: Problems booting new 1.3 kernel
To: Ted Lemon <mellon@hoffman.vix.com>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 01/20/1998 16:08:11
>The thought was that it would be used to do sneakernet file transfers,
>since at the time Windoze and MS-DOS didn't do TCP/IP, and that it
>would be used to install all the nifty Windows NT software that the
>MAXine would run.

I guess the anticipation was that Windows NT itself came only on CD.
(did that really make sense in the early 90s?)

But why a 2.88 floppy instead of 1.44, then?  Do the 2.88 drives
reliably write data that's readable by a 1.44 drive?

>> Ted's suggestion doesn't seem to offer anything at all, except
>> providing all the distribution materials on a CD.  Which I'm sure
>> other people are doing already
>>
>> Am I missing something obvious?

>I don't know.   The current thing seems not to work for a lot of
>people, for reasons I don't understand.   If a CD-ROM makes it easier,
>cool.   I don't particularly care if it makes sense.

I still don't understand what's "not working" about the current thing
but which would be fixed by having the identical same stuff on a
CD-rom, but that would be installed the same way as the current thing.

If someone can help explain that, it might make things easier for *everyone*.