Subject: Re: Problems booting new 1.3 kernel
To: Ted Lemon <mellon@hoffman.vix.com>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 01/20/1998 15:51:10
On Tue, 20 Jan 1998 15:30:44 -0800, Ted Lemon writes:

>The non-MAXine floppies are all SCSI-based, so they should be
>bootable.

yes, i'm just asking how useful they are. I had never even seen these,
till someone kindly shipped me a 3100 with one.

>I don't think the MAXine will even boot off its floppy.

Boggle. Who was the bright spark at WSE who decided not to write a
PROM boot driver for the floppy?  I mean, what else are floppies
useful for, on a networked machine? :) :)

>You could dd the first N blocks of the CD-ROM onto a hard drive with
>some other machine to make yourself a root partition and then and boot
>off of the hard drive.  Indeed, it might be winning to partition the
>CD-ROM with this in mind.

Hum. To me, that sounds *exactly*like the currently-recommended
diskful install procedure: get a diskimage from the distribution
materials, dd it to the start of a disk, and then boot that disk on a
pmax.  Ted's suggestion doesn't seem to offer anything at all, except
providing all the distribution materials on a CD.  Which I'm sure
other people are doing already

Am I missing something obvious?