Subject: Perl Compiling (Re: How to add swap file,Re: Network slowness)
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Adam Fritzler <afritz@iname.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 01/14/1998 21:57:24
So my recent troubles boil down to one problem: everytime I do a 'make
depend' with the Perl 5.004.4 sources, my MAXINE resets with 'panic: out of
virtual memory'.

It's only Perl that causes any problems.  I've tried compiling several other
programs in an attempt to crash the machine and nothing.  (fvwm compiles
quite quickly with a `make -j 10`!)  I've gotten all the way to 50% swap
used (that's about 64mb)  and load avgs up to 15.0, and still no crashes!
But, the first time I run a `make depend` for perl, it dies within 5 minutes.

So, is there a version of perl that compiles properly on NetBSD/pmax?

BTW, isn't it kind of a bug if user space apps like make and sh can crash
the system?  (Running as a std user even!  -- it crashes both as root and as
std user)

Thanks,
Adam

Anyone annoyed with all my questions yet? :)

(  Adam Fritzler   afritz@iname.com                            )
	           http://afritz.base.org/