Subject: Re: Problems booting new 1.3 kernel
To: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
From: Bill Harris <billh@airmail.net>
List: port-pmax
Date: 01/13/1998 11:13:07
David Brownlee wrote:

>         Have you looked at cdrecord (/usr/pkgsrc/sysutils/cdrecord) in the
>         package system?

  No I haven't, but I will shortly, since I'd love to burn cd's from my BSD
box, since it kinda keeps the mac occupied while it's burning.

BTW, Ted, thanks for the help, SUCCESS!   I didn't want to tear down
the 500 meg drive out of it's case with the primary disk, so, instead I
grabbed the bootable zip disk I made last week of 1.3 and slapped it
on the other side of the burner, and told the mac to [write CD].  Five
minutes later, I had a bootable NetBSD 1.3 CD with all the diskimage
tools and tarballs on it.  Hooked it back up the my 5000's bus, init'ed
and then booted off the CD-rom.

Course, I'm only using ~98 meg of the CD, but it's great, now I can boot
and run off the CD with for installing or maintenance or whatever.  Now
I'm contemplating building a fs that will dhclient it ip, mount a static nfs
filesystem from another server and let it be a CD-ROM based CPU server.

As soon as Jonathan commits the pmax sources to full release, I'll pull the
complete sources down and burn a bootable master.

Thanks again, now I just need that labeling software and the bsd daemon
icon files....

Bill