Subject: Re: kernel compile..
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@is.aist-nara.ac.jp>
List: port-pmax
Date: 01/06/1998 09:09:13
Hi.

jorgen.pehrson@seinf.mail.abb.com wrote;

>> I've been trying to compile 1.3_beta on my 5000/200.
>> But when I do a "config KRISTALL" it says this:
>>
>> (the KRISTALL file looks just like the DS5000_200 file with
>> just the "config" line changed to my setup.
>>
>> #pwd
>> /usr/src/sys/arch/pmax/conf
>> #config KRISTALL
>> KRISTALL:71: syntax error
>> KRISTALL has no configurations!
>> *** Stop.
>>
>> My config line in the KRISTALL file looks like this:
>>
>> config netbsd root on rz2a swap on rz2b

You used old-style configuration.  NetBSD now has a new way to have swap
space, and no need for 'swap' description builtin.

>> But I can't boot the new kernel (after copying it to / and renaming it
>> to netbsd.new) 'cause it says this:

>> Boot: 5/rz2a/netbsd.new
>> 5/rz2a/netbsd.new: bad magic 464c457f
>> Can't boot '5/rz2a/netbsd.new'

The kernel header does not match with what bootloader expects.  Recent
Makefile.pmax does make three different kernel images by default; ELF,
A.OUT and ECOFF.  To boot NetBSD/pmax, you need to put A.OUT kernel on
your root directory.  Check and see how Makefile.pmax converts ELF
image into A.OUT and ECOFF format.

Tohru Nishimura
Nara Institute of Science and Technology