Subject: Re: New 3100 install
To: None <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: maximum entropy <entropy@zippy.bernstein.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 12/30/1997 04:49:44
>From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
>
>Bill Studenmund writes:
>
>>If I wait a while (10, 20 seconds) after boot before manually starting
>>xdm, xdm comes up.
>>
>>My thought was to uncompress the fonts and remove aliases, as described in
>>the README.pmax file.
>
>That should work. I have never been able to reproduce this on a
>5000/150, but I've heard the same problem comes up elsewhere.  I guess
>it must be a timing-related problem.  From the reported symptoms, I'd
>guess perhaps xfs doesnt have its brains in shape before the Xserver
>starts pounding on port 7100?

That doesn't explain it.  If xfs is started automatically and startx
is run manually, the freeze will occur.  In this scenario there's
absolutely no way that xfs isn't "ready" for the server to connect.

If xfs is started from an enviroment with job control enabled, either
by using appropriate "set" commands in /etc/rc or by running it
manually once logged in as root, it works every time.  I sent (to this
list) a patch adding the correct "set" commands a long time ago as a
suggested workaround, and received no comments.

Cheers,
entropy