Subject: Re: New 3100 install
To: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 12/29/1997 18:11:14
Bill Studenmund writes:

>1)

[snip]

>If I wait a while (10, 20 seconds) after boot before manually starting
>xdm, xdm comes up.
>
>My thought was to uncompress the fonts and remove aliases, as described in
>the README.pmax file.

That should work. I have never been able to reproduce this on a
5000/150, but I've heard the same problem comes up elsewhere.  I guess
it must be a timing-related problem.  From the reported symptoms, I'd
guess perhaps xfs doesnt have its brains in shape before the Xserver
starts pounding on port 7100?

>2) The mouse doesn't work under X. I'm not sure what to do here. I can
>hook the mouse up to a 5000/240 running ULTRIX, and it's fine there. The
>mouse from that machine doesn't work either.

I haven't heard any reports of problems with the mouse on 3100s,
though that may have been with mono framebuffers.  Unfortunately, I
have no time to even investigate this before I leave.

Could anyone using X11 on a 3100 wiht 1.3_BETA or newer report whether
they have trouble with the mouse?

>How can I run diagnostics to see what's wrong?

If it passes the PROM tests, it's probably OK.  There should be a
description of the 3100 prom tests on either the NEtBSD/pmax web page
or on Simon Burge's Web page.

>Also, could NetBSD be
>unhappy about something? /dev/mouse points to fb0. ??

Was the mouse correctly plugged in when you powered on and booted?
If it was, NetBSD should be happy....