Subject: New 3100 install
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 12/29/1997 17:06:42
Howdy!

Well, our new 3100 install is almost done. But there are two buggies left.
One I can work around, the other I need help on.

/usr/X11R3/bin/X points to Xcfbpmax.

1) (fixable) When I choose both xdm and xfs in rc.conf (having added the
-fp tcp stuff to the xdm config line so X talks to the font server), the
first time xdm comes up, it hangs right at the white screen. Basically all
of the console messages go from white-on-black to black-on-white. Then the
X server freezes, and starts taking >95% of the cpu.

If I wait a while (10, 20 seconds) after boot before manually starting
xdm, xdm comes up.

My thought was to uncompress the fonts and remove aliases, as described in
the README.pmax file.

2) The mouse doesn't work under X. I'm not sure what to do here. I can
hook the mouse up to a 5000/240 running ULTRIX, and it's fine there. The
mouse from that machine doesn't work either.

How can I run diagnostics to see what's wrong? Also, could NetBSD be
unhappy about something? /dev/mouse points to fb0. ??

Thanks!

Take care,

Bill