Subject: Re: Install of 1.3_BETA
To: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 12/23/1997 00:39:10
>Howdy!

Hi Bill,

>We just installed 1.3_BETA on a 3100 today, and I have a question, and we
>ran into some bugs w/ sysinst.
>
>Installing with the netbsd.ecoff kernel off of an Ultrix swap worked
>great! Modulo pilot error. We learned about the "n" option the hard way.
>:-)

Umm, is there a bug in the NOTES or in the INSTALL equivalent?

>sysinst bug: We installed onto a brand new disk. In the disklabel section,
>I always got "partitions b and f overlap: errors, when the disklabel (in
>cyl.) looked like:

The label overlap-check code was broken. Some silly Antipodeawn put an
'=' when cutting-and-pasting C code when they should've put a '+'.
This has been fixed in the release tree, but not in the December 7
snapshot. I'm jus tabout to kick out a new snapshot which includes
this fix.

>I cobbled together enough of a system to fake sysinst to being happy with
>an update, and all went well, except the ftp path was:
>
>/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-/pmax/binary/sets

Hm. This is an artifact of setting the release string to "".  You
could try again with -r "1.3_BETA".  I don't know what else that
mashes up, though.  I've  change the INSTALL file to drop the -r "".
Does that work for you?

>My last question is how to get xdm set up. I tried just setting xfs and
>xdm to YES in rc.conf. They run, but they don't display on the screen. I
>also tried booting w/ the internal console off in /etc/ttys. No xdm.

Hm. Did you address the font-compression problems mentioned in the
X11R6 README.pmax?  There's a pointer to that in the INSTALL...