Subject: Install of 1.3_BETA
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 12/22/1997 21:49:58
Howdy!

We just installed 1.3_BETA on a 3100 today, and I have a question, and we
ran into some bugs w/ sysinst.

Installing with the netbsd.ecoff kernel off of an Ultrix swap worked
great! Modulo pilot error. We learned about the "n" option the hard way.
:-)

sysinst bug: We installed onto a brand new disk. In the disklabel section,
I always got "partitions b and f overlap: errors, when the disklabel (in
cyl.) looked like:

     size  offset    end
a:     64     0       64  /
b:     97    64      161  swap
c:   4180     0     4180
d:    200   161      361  /usr
e:    200   361      561  /usr/local
f:    128   561      689  /var

The only way I got around the problem was to reverse the digits. But then
the disklabel was really wrong, and so newfs choked.

I assume this one's been fixed? (Basically the size and offset fields are
reversed in some calculation).

I cobbled together enough of a system to fake sysinst to being happy with
an update, and all went well, except the ftp path was:

/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-/pmax/binary/sets

My last question is how to get xdm set up. I tried just setting xfs and
xdm to YES in rc.conf. They run, but they don't display on the screen. I
also tried booting w/ the internal console off in /etc/ttys. No xdm.

Thanks!

Bill

P.S. this all was with the sysinst from December 7, the one on the ftp
server.