Subject: Re: SFB cards (was Re: NetBSD 1.3Alpha Install Woes...)
To: James Alexander Jacocks <silence@wam.umd.edu>
From: David Burren <davidb@convergent.com.au>
List: port-pmax
Date: 12/15/1997 10:05:47
> Well, sorry that I took so long to respong this time.  (Exam time, you
> know? :) )  ANyway, I looked at my SFB, and the second crystal seems to be
> at the frequency of a PMAGB-BC (i.e. 69.1968 mHz) even though it is
> labeled (on the outside) and calls itself a PMAGB-BA.  Shouldn't this
> work then?

It depends on a number of things.
It certainly sounds as if you have a PMAGB-BC (I expect the label on the
back plate to actually say "PMAGB-B" without specifying the last letter).

Firstly, which oscillator is selected?  OSC0 (130 MHz) or OSC1 (69 MHz)?
There's a jumper on the board that selects...
If you run "CNFG n" (where "n" is the slot number of the PMAGB-B) at the
boot prompt I expect that may tell you.

The next problem is that although the ROM on the board knows how to deal
with the different crystal, the NetBSD driver isn't quite as experienced :-(
Recent discussions with Jonathan and others have agreed that we need to
resolve this, but I don't think anyone's done anything yet.

Simon has a number of systems at his office with PMAGB-BCs, but I don't
recall if he's tested the alternate crystal under NetBSD.  I suspect not.
He left on the weekend for holidays at the Gold Coast until the New Year,
so I don't expect to hear from him before then.

As for me, we had a third of the company retrenched a week ago, followed
by me resigning, so I'm a little busy job-hunting and fixing my home
net access to do much else right now :-)

A short-term "fix" to get you going would be to get a PMAG-B (the CFB)
which should drive your monitor under NetBSD.  At least it will get you
to a stage where you can help test the PMAGB-BC support :-)
Does anyone have a spare?
__
David Burren
davidb@werj.com.au