Subject: Re: beta install
To: Matthew Schnierle <pyld@grove.iup.edu>
From: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.oscs.montana.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 12/09/1997 21:54:27
On Dec  9,  5:42pm, "Matthew Schnierle" wrote:
> hanging the disk off an old 1.2G installation, I do the following:
>
> 	disklabel -W /dev/rrz1c
> 	gunzip -c diskimage.gz | dd of=/dev/rrz1c bs=10240
> 	/dev/rrz1c: read-only file system
> Disk in question is a previously labeled rz58.  Am I missing something
> brutally obvious?

  Perhaps not obvious...

  Pre 1.3 Alpha kernels would remove the "write-label enable" status of
a disk when the device is no longer in use.  Since the only thing using
the disk is disklabel, the disk will revert to "write-label disabled"
when disklabel exits.  The current kernel no longer does this.

  If the disk is currently labeled, the easiest workaround would be to
mount one of the existing partitions, then do the "disklabel -W" and the
dd.  The mount will keep the disk "in-use" so the "-W" will still be in
effect when the dd is run.  I've also used dd to read the disk and suspended
that process, then run the disklabel.  The suspended dd process keeps the
disk open, and allows the "disklabel -W" to do the expected thing.

Michael

--
Michael L. Hitch			mhitch@montana.edu
Computer Consultant