Subject: re: more installation notes suggestions
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Terry R. Friedrichsen <terry@venus.sunquest.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 12/04/1997 18:17:39
Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU> wrote, in response to my ravings:

>>d)  the gunzip command in step 2 should read
>>
>>     gunzip -c diskimage.gz | dd of=/dev/rrzXb bs=10240
>>
>>     (or more simply, use gzcat in lieu of "gunzip -c")

> Hm. I left this as-is because the diskimage doesn't have links for
> gzcat.

My fault; I confused you with that bogus parenthetical comment which I
added to my message at the last second.

In the NOTES file I just this minute downloaded, the gunzip command reads

	# gunzip -c diskimage.gz dd bs=10240 of=/rzXb

My new suggested gunzip command fixes two problems - a missing pipe symbol
before the dd, and correction of two problems with the "of=" argument.

I think the only thing missing from your latest-and-greatest notes file
is that "Once you've booted the diskimage" needs to tell you to remount
root so its writeable before running sysinst (else sysinst dies when
trying to write the new /etc/disktab).

The installation instructions are almost simple enough for even *me*
to follow now!

>>Now to try to install from locally-available filesets ...

> Uh, oh. That menu entry really means ``find some unmounted filesystem,
> mount it, and look in it for distribution sets.''

Yup, that bit me.  Looking forward to your update of this option.

Terry R. Friedrichsen

terry@venus.sunquest.com