Subject: pmax 1.3_ALPHA snapshot updated
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/27/1997 15:59:43
hi all,

I've updated the 1.3_ALPHA pmax tree with source compiled yesterday/
this morning.

I've updated the NOTES file with some typo corrections and
clarifications supplied by maximum entropy, Terry. Friedrichsen, Bill
Studenmund, and others.

I've also changed the suffix used for release sets to match the new
release(7) manpage. Gzipp'ed tarballs now end in '.tgz', not
`.tar.gz'; sysinst has been updated accordingly.  The names used for
checksum files have changed, too; though i haven't done an end-to-end
version of all four checksum algorithms.

I believe (but I'm not sure) the kernels in this latest snapshot have
all the fixes that will be in the BETA.  We don't have a good answer
for the SFB being used at CFB rates (1024x876).  AFAIK, all other
console-related problems that have been reported (cursor spillage, DO
keys on LK-510, etc) should now be fixed.

The xserver set contains Michael Hitch's latest Xcfbpmax server from
November 17, which should work correctly on 3100 colour, cfb, sfb,
mfb, and Personal DECstation baseboard video.  The X readme file
contains a copy of Arne Juul's script to uncompress the X fonts for
the R5 servers.

I'm still not sure what to do about xfs; I think having it daemonize
itself and detach from a controlling tty is really the best solution.

Thanks to everyone who's tried the _ALPHA, given feedback, and fixed
problems.