Subject: Re: single-disk, netbsd-only install
To: maximum entropy <entropy@zippy.bernstein.com>
From: John Pelan <johnp@am.qub.ac.uk>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/20/1997 22:05:04
On Wed, 19 Nov 1997, maximum entropy wrote:

> OK, I finally managed to install a single-disk system from scratch.
> The key points are that you must boot with a root in a swap partition,
> and when partitioning the disk in sysinst you must MANUALLY change
> sysinst's partition table so that the b partition is in exactly the
> same place, and exactly the same size (doing this seems to require
> specifying sizes and offsets in blocks.)

Err, maybe I'm naive but if you are going to get the machine into a state
where it is possible to do a 'dd' then why not cut out that middle stage ?
i.e. just netboot, disklabel, make the filesystem(s), mount, and untar the
     binary sets etc.

I must say that I find 'sysinst' is a real cow to use (especially the
partitioning) and much prefer doing it manually inconjunction with
scripts. Mind you I have been using 'disklabel' with a friendly
interactive option - I'm not sure where I picked it up from though.

John P.