Subject: Re: single-disk, netbsd-only install
To: None <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: maximum entropy <entropy@zippy.bernstein.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/20/1997 01:11:52
>From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
>
>Oh... The original intent was that you could dd the diskimage onto the
>raw disk, boot it as the `a' partition, and use sysinst to install
>_into_ the root you're running out of.  I tested this on a machine at
>home; it worked fine for me.
>
>Sysinst is smart enough to check for this and _not_ newfs the current
>root. But you need to be careful to not change the location or size of
>the `a` partition.  THat probalby makes life really hard for
>single-disk RZ23 installs.

Hm... I did try installing from an 'a' partition, and I ran into
snags.  sysinst definitely did not recognize that this required
special handling -- it tried to newfs the 'a' partition (newfs failed)
and when I told it to continue anyway, it tried to mount the 'a'
partition on /mnt (this failed too) and then started installing to the
/mnt directory.

I used the sysinst contained in the Nov. 13 diskimage.  Did you use
the same one?  Maybe this is a bug that has already been fixed?

If you used the same sysinst, I'll try again tomorrow.  It's quite
possible I simply screwed something up.

Cheers,
entropy