Subject: Re: 1.2G failed to boot on DS5000/125
To: Armistead, Jason <ARMISTEJ@oeca.otis.com>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/20/1997 14:32:43
Jason,

I just sent to the list some results on putting the diskimage in the
Ultrix disk's swap area and the netbsd.ecoff kernel in the Ultrix disks
root filesystem, and then installing on to another disk.  However, I
believe you _wont_ be able to do this if either disk is at SCSI ID 5 or
6.

You'll need to change the SCSI ID of your Ultrix disk to, say, 0 or 1,
to use that method.  If your Ultrix kernel is compiled for "root on
rz5a", you should still be able to boot the genvmunix kernel with your
disk at any SCSI ID.  If there is no genvmunix in your root directory
there may be one in your /usr directory.

After you boot into single user mode and dd the diskimage to /dev/rrz5b
and copy the netbsd.ecoff to your root directory, you should then be
able to do the following:

	boot 3/rz1/netbsd n
	specify rz1b as your root filesystem (note the `b'!)
	# mount -u /dev/rz1b /
	# TERM=vt100
	# export TERM
	# sysinst -r ""

and then install on to your RZ23 at rz3.  For a single RZ23, I'd
recommend a single 70MB root filesystem and a 30MB swap partition.

Hmm, another idea is to swap on to your Ultrix swap partition. sysinst
won't know how to deal with this, and I don't think it's been tested.
Experiment!

On Wed, 19 Nov 1997 23:03:00 -0500  "Armistead, Jason" wrote:

> PS: Can anyone confirm for me that I'm on the port-pmax mailing list ?
> I sent a request via the Web, and replied to majordomo's confirmation
> message.  However I am only getting one copy of each of your replies
> (though they're send to me AND the list).  This has to be the most
> contrary (and perhaps bizarre) majordomo I've ever dealt with.  Still, I
> guess it's just trying to keep people from subscribing their friends

Have you seen any other pmax messages _not_ Cc'd to you?  There was a message
recently with these headers:

> From:        maximum entropy <entropy@zippy.bernstein.com>
> To:          skippy@macro.stanford.edu
> Cc:          port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG