Subject: Re: cats [on keyboards]
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.oscs.montana.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/19/1997 19:54:32
On Nov 19,  6:37pm, Jonathan Stone wrote:

> Toru Nishimura writes:
>
>         [ entropy wants to have cat-proof DDB ]
> >So, will it work with DO key on Personal DECstation keyboard?  Mine has
> >LK501-AJ (japanese variant), and doesn't respond to DO key.
>
> You know, I expect that's because dtop.c does not have the relevant
> code fragment to check for a DO key jump into the debugger when it
> sees one.  Not the japanese keybaord at all Time for a PR.
>
> I doubt i will find time to fix this myself before the release, but if
> you come up with a good fix, I'll commit it and ask for a pullup.
>
> ``can not get into kernel debugger, no workaround'' sounds pretty
> critical to me :) :).
>
> It might be cleaner to move the check into the LK-201 [sic]
> keycode-to-ASCII state machine and be done with it, as maximum entropy
> suggests.  I think that will have to wait for after 1.3.

  I have the dtop.c change - I recently added it to my system when
trying to test the kernel breakpoints.

  I also have a fix to dc.c for the serial console on the 3100 to allow
a break to enter DDB.  I still need to figure out a check to only enter
DDB if the serial port is the console.  [Otherwise, any user logging
in on the serial port could cause the system to enter DDB.]

Michael

--
Michael L. Hitch			mhitch@montana.edu
Computer Consultant