Subject: re: diskimage install & Ultrix
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/19/1997 18:25:45
On Wed, 19 Nov 1997, Jonathan Stone wrote:

> hi Bill,

Howdy!

> Ultrix doesn't write-protect the chpt info.
>
> I think that just dd'ing the diskimage onto the raw device works.  At
> least, it did back when I first bootstrapped a native bootblock....
>
> If you do have time to try the NOTES method of
>        a) putting ecoff NetBSD kerenl into ultrix root
>        b) dd'ing the diskimage into ultrix swap,
>
> it would be very nice to hear confirmation that it works.

I _might_ be able to try it Sunday, but I make no promises. If not, it'll
be December before I can try it. I think 1.3 will be out by then. But I
will try it, just to see if it's ok.

So basically I put a netbsd.ecoff kernel in /, boot Ultrix single user, dd
the file into rrzXb, reboot using "boot -f(0,X,0)netbsd-1.3 n" (this is a
3100), and see if it's fine?

Ok. I think I like this better than dd'ing to the new disk as I can mess
w/ the partitioning setup much easier.

Then, if I just go back to booting Ultrix kernels (leaving Ultrix on the
Ultrix drive), all is well, and I can boot NetBSD on the NetBSD drive.
Nice. A dual-booting pmax. :-) Dual boot is good politically as I'm trying
to convince other folks to re-do a cluster.

Take care,

Bill