Subject: Re: diskimage install & Ultrix
To: None <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
From: maximum entropy <entropy@zippy.bernstein.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/19/1997 19:02:45
>From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
>
>I'm looking at installing 1.3_ALPHA (or _BETA by the time I get to it) on
>a 3100 which has ULTRIX on it. Since the environment doesn't have
>netbooting set up (and I have a spare disk), I'd like to just dd the
>diskimage onto it.
>
>All the install instructions with _ALPHA basically are
>
>disklabel -W the/drive
>gunzip -c the_image| dd of=/the/drive bs=10240
>
>What do I do under ULTRIX as the equivelant of the disklabel -W command
>(which is basically just unlocking the boot sectors)?

I don't think there is an equivalent to "disklabel -W" under Ultrix.
I would expect that if you chpt the disk and then dd the diskimage
onto the raw c partition, it should just work.  This is essentially
the "dirty hack" method described at

http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/pmax/pmax-install.html

but it's no longer a dirty hack, because the new diskimages and new
kernels work well together to avoid all the issues that made this a
"dirty hack" in the past.

Cheers,
entropy