Subject: cats
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: maximum entropy <entropy@zippy.bernstein.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/19/1997 05:08:40
Hi,

My cats like to walk around on my computer keyboards.  Sometimes they
even take a little nap on them.  I have no idea why, it doesn't look
very comfortable to me.

Normally this isn't much of a problem.  The chances of them
acidentally "walking" on the sequence "rm -rf /[RETURN]" are
negligible.

However, I've recently taken to compiling my pmax kernels with DDB
enabled.  The chances of a day going by *without* one of the cats
stepping on the DO key are nonexistent.  This is a real pain in the
ass when I'm at work and can't do anything about it until I get home.

I think it would be nice to change the ddb key to shift-DO or ctrl-DO,
to make it difficult for my cats to get into the debugger.

Currently this is difficult because the checks for the DO key to enter
the debugger are done in the hardware-dependent serial code, which
does not remember the current state of the shift and ctrl keys.

My idea is to remove all the DO key checks and Debugger() calls from
the serial drivers, and relocate those bits into lk201.c.  Is there
any reason I shouldn't do this?  Does anyone have any better ideas?

Meow,
entropy

p.s. I would like to do this ASAP in my own kernels, but I wouldn't
expect this change to be in 1.3.  But I do want to make this change in
an "acceptable" manner so I can file a change-request on it.