Subject: None
To: Armistead, Jason <ARMISTEJ@oeca.otis.com>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/19/1997 17:09:22
Jason,

You're using an old snapshot.  Can I recommend that you get
the current 1.3 ALPHA snapshot from ftp.netbsd.org in the
pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.3_ALPHA/pmax directory.

> Any and all help appreciated.  Also, is there a list of boot options
> (single user/no swap/multiuser,etc ) ?

On your machine (a 5000/1xx and booting of rz3):

	single user		boot 3/rz3/netbsd
	multi user		boot 3/rz3/netbsd -a
	ask for root/swap	boot 3/rz3/netbsd -n
	dont ask for root/swap	boot 3/rz3/netbsd -N

Newer versions of NetBSD don't start swapping until a swap device is
configured with the swapctl command.  You don't specify a swap partition
in the config file anymore.

> PS: I've already decided, based on first impressions, that if there is
> one thing that will keep people off NetBSD, it *HAS* to be the
> incredibly lacking installation documentation.  Is there a "Definitive"
> guide somewhere that I've missed ?

You are right - the doco is lacking.  I'm working on that right now, but
what I have at the moment isn't quite readable.  Greg McGarry has some
very good notes that don't include the new sysinst installation tool,
but do a very good job of taking you through netbooting and many other
things.  If you don't have a spare machine to netboot off, it may be
easier to follow his instructions.

You can also use sysinst if you have _two_ spare disks.  Just dd the
diskimage onto the start of one of the disks, boot of that one and
install into the other spare disk.

You can also get by by loading the diskimage into the swap space of the
Ultrix disk, and placing the netbsd.ecoff file on your Ultrix machines
`a' partition (calling the file netbsd and not netbsd.ecoff).  It's best
of dd the diskimage to your swap partition whilst you are in single user
mode.  You then boot the netbsd file with the `-n' parameter:

	boot 3/rz#/netbsd -n

and enter rz#b (where # is your Ultrix disk's SCSI ID) as the root
filesystem.  You can then run sysinst as below.  Note that this
installation method hasn't been tested very much (and I'd be very
interested to hear how you go if you try this method!).

If you do have a machine to netboot off, just run:

	TERM=vt100
	export TERM
	sysinst -r ""

once you are in single user mode and follow the menus.  Change the value
of the TERM variable to "pmax" if you are using a frame buffer for a
console, but it appears that you are using a serial console.  Please ask
any questions about anything that isn't clear if you're using sysinst
(or even if you're not!).

You'll find a copy of Greg's instructions on ftp.netbsd.org in the file
pub/NetBSD/mailing-lists/port-pmax/port-pmax.0125 .

Best of luck,
Simon.