Subject: Re: ld -Bforcearchive
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Gregory McGarry <g.mcgarry@qut.edu.au>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/17/1997 08:14:36
Jonathan Stone wrote:

> The software package is probably set up for NetBSD using the
> ``standard''` NetBSD linker and assembler.  The ``standard'' linker
> and assembler are years-out-of date versions of what is now GNU
> binutils  with a.out exensions for NetBSD shared libraries.
>
> The pmax and alpha ports use an up-to-date version of GNU binutils,
> with ELF support not the ``standard'' NetBSD code.

I think this is worth putting in the FAQ.

I still cannot get ldconfig
and ld to agree, nor can I get ld to link to shared libs in /usr/local/lib,
aparting from setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH *and* being root.

> What package are you trying to compile?  Did you get it via the NetBSD
> package system, or are you trying to compile a standard distribution?
>
> You might have better luck with the package system.

Unfortunately, there are no pmax packages on the NetBSD ftp archive.  Should
we start a collection and put a link from the pub/NetBSD/arch/pmax/
directory?

I can contribute bash-2.0 and a hacked version of top-3.3 to work on the pmax.
I also have lesstif (the motif replacement) and Mosaic however they are
subject to the ld problem discussed above.

There are good instructions on making packages at:

  ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/README.detailed.html

Regards,
Greg