Subject: re: ld -Bforcearchive
To: emanuel stiebler <emu@ecubics.To>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/16/1997 08:35:56
>I'm trying to compile bigger software package with a auto configured
>Makefile.
>
>it tries to use the linker with the option Bforcearchive (together with
>Bshareable)
>
>the linker don't know this option, but in the man-pages this option exist.

The software package is probably set up for NetBSD using the
``standard''` NetBSD linker and assembler.  The ``standard'' linker
and assembler are years-out-of date versions of what is now GNU
binutils  with a.out exensions for NetBSD shared libraries.

The pmax and alpha ports use an up-to-date version of GNU binutils,
with ELF support not the ``standard'' NetBSD code.

>any help ?

What package are you trying to compile?  Did you get it via the NetBSD
package system, or are you trying to compile a standard distribution?

You might have better luck with the package system.

If you are already using the package system, please send e-mail
to current-users (I think) tellng the package maintainers that
this particular package is broken on ELF-based NetBSD ports.

I can't offer more specific advice without knowing what the package is.

If you get truly stuck, you could try examining the
/usr/share/mk/bsd.lib.mk Makefile template and examining how the Alpha
and pmax are handled, but I would only suggest that if you're already
an expert with Makefiles and GNU binutils.